Saturday, June 6, 2015

And... CHANGE!

So Nigel has been at training and for the most part, his legs have healed up and he's been getting trained.  Aside from some typical OTTB things, he's been doing fine. 

Except tying.

Its like he refuses to get this no matter how step by step things go.  He's fine then... not.  And he's just chill about wanting to NOT be tied.  Except that he keeps hurting himself in the middle of his bizarre tantrum.

*sigh

I've also told the trainer to get him going well and sell him and he's glad to show the horse to people.

So trainer calls me and thinks Nigel needs some time off to heal his legs.  I'm assuming its from the original issue at the vet school so I'm like ok, that makes sense.  I'd just gotten Arthur back from Shane and despite falling in love with him again (he's SUCH a good boy!), I know the right thing is to have trainer sell him to someone that will let him just be a big hunter dope (sorry huntery people).


I take Arthur out to the place and after DRAMA getting in and miscommunications, I see Nigel.  He's tied.  Calmly and happily.  His legs however are all the size of elephant legs.  I take a deep breath.  And another one.  He's also thin.  All my months of feeding him and he's... thin.  I'm trying to process.  Trainer is trying to flail around to stem off the impending rage he's sure I'm going to throw at him. 

I'm still breathing.

I decide to assess with my hands.  Aside from his legs looking horrific, they don't feel terrible.  His weight loss could be logically from all the riding he's been under so I'm all "ride him for me."  It's been hella wet, so he rides him in the round pen and overall, Nigel rides fine.  He's a little gimpy on one side but it's not bad.

I feel a bit stuck at this point.  (Literally too as my truck and trailer was stuck in mud at this moment) *sigh

I don't know what else to do so we load up Nigel, I hope Arthur is in the best hands and ask for how to get unstuck.  The trainer is a bit fluffered out because I'm not a normal psychopathic horse person that should've yelled by this point, so he offers to get us unstuck.  I'm thinking tractor or something else saner, he's thinking rodeo the shit out of my truck and trailer (remember Nigel's in it still) and ends up jacknifing my trailer into my truck's back window shattering it and leaving a dent. 

But its unstuck.

This is a great analogy for us.  We both get the job done, I just don't like leaving shattered glass.  In his defense, sometimes glass needs to be shattered (Nigel).  I just wish it hadn't been my truck.  :/

We took Nigel home and he had ZERO issues with being a psycho in the trailer this time and we even stopped at Which Wich to eat lunch without hearing so much as a peep from him.  I have more faith in Arthur not being so "special" and I can only draw on the thought that lots of people I know have sent their $$$$ warmbloods to this guy and rave about him.

*sigh

No comments:

Post a Comment