Sunday, October 26, 2014

Outside Time With Arthur - Home Edition

*sigh

So after the rousing success that was the other day at Sarah's, I decided to try to ride Arthur at the house but outside the round pen.  He's been worked 53422353453 times out there and since he was doing well IN the round pen and basically doing everything but being ridden extensively OUTSIDE it, there should be minor issues with riding him outside, right?

Well... not so much.

It wasn't a complete failure and there wasn't (really) any bucking so I guess that's a success.  Technically.  From the start, Arthur was a little tense but nothing bad.  I got on and it was uneventful.  My goal was really to duplicate what we'd done at Sarah's and if that wasn't happening, then I wanted to work him through a few of his fits so he learned he had to keep working after.  His fits at this point are basically he starts to "act up" and then pauses (which is AWESOME!) and then we basically have to start over.  Like.. ALLLL over.  Normally one rein stops where he circles for like 5 minutes before finally stopping.



So I had some poles on the ground as well to keep his mind busy just in case that helped.  Poles were great but general walking around... eh.  Not bad but not great.  We did some flexing and he came back to me.  Finally he gets back to rockin' awesome and I'm all FINALLY!  So I go for a trot circle to end and... he humps up BUT STOPS.  No idea why but whatever.  I start the flexing process to a stop again and he FINALLY stops once I'm thoroughly dizzy.

While circling 24354645 times, I realized that he wasn't EVER moving his inside foreleg.  Prefect pivots on the thing and while he was doing his one rein stops, he was totally chill.  The ONLY time he wasn't was when he was like OMG... yes?  and then I'd ask him to one rein stop and he'd just circle calmly until he finally stopped.

What was going on?

It was like he was trained to do this weird pivot on the fore thing.  Ugh, maybe that's a HUS thing?  So we end the ride fine and I get to researching.  Come to find out, it IS a breed show exercise in one of the EQ and possibly trail classes?  So at least I know what that was all about but now I've got the NEW issue that Arthur is grabbing onto old training that I might not know about.  Time to learn even more about breed shows.

*le sigh

No comments:

Post a Comment