Friday, October 17, 2014

Red Horses

I need another horse like I need a hole in the head.

Sadly, its becoming apparent that unless I want to swap to APHA breed shows (watched one and nope) or H/J shows (QQ), Arthur will not be the awesome event horse I'd like him to be.  Also, from a business standpoint, he's not an event horse and his value will be better recognized in the other rings.  Also, if I sell him, I can better finance things around here for my pleasure and so yeah.  I need to be realistic.

Piper is in the same boat, once she makes me a baby horse of awesome, I'm probably going to train her, show her, and sell her to some lucky Pony Club kid to go rule the world with.  While my baby horse grows, that leaves me with an elderly QH type mare (Katy) and a chunky white pony (Mango).  Also, I'm tallerish and my trainer seems to think that riding a larger horse with my crazy long legs will help me progess faster.

*sigh

I've been watching CANTER when I can for upcoming TB projects to replace Arthur with over the horizon and I found a cute local guy but if they're not free, then I'm not buying.  Husband would kill me if I PAID for another horse right now.  Said cute horse was available in August and then I heard nothing about him until.. now.  He was a "war horse" having won almost $100K and was a nice red gelding - exactly what I was hoping for.  A nice kind look in his eye and I was vaguely interested.

I heard nothing again (which was fine) until one Friday at about 4:30pm I see a red horse come up on the CANTER Facebook page needing help TODAY or.. else?  Being local I was like omg, lemme go help out.  I'll get him home and evaluate him.  It ended up being the red horse from August so I was doing a little, fate? thinking but we had little time so I headed home and grabbed my trailer quickly while shoving my son at my husband and mentioning a free horse before bolting out the door on him.

Again, poor husband.

I get to the barn and find a skinny, pissy, tall guy that didn't want to load in the trailer.   Lucky for him, trailer loading is my thing apparently and in less than 20 minutes he loaded himself.  The boarding barn crew didn't seem too happy that I succeeded and I waved cheerfully as I loaded up my truck to head home. 

So here we go, again Project Horse 3436456  "I'll Make It Up" aka Nigel

Pictures BEFORE I got him:












Pictures from Day One *sigh:










No comments:

Post a Comment