Friday, May 1, 2015

Sorting Things Out Part 2

So dressage.  I'm happy with this choice except the simple fact I STILL have these horses at my house and NONE of them are really upper level dressage caliber.  Its really not a terrible problem, but they're much better suited for H/J or eventing so I need to figure out how to head in the dressage direction while keeping my feet in the eventing pool.

Hmm.

Well, I guess the most fun place to start it dressage horse shopping.  I can easily NOT find anything and rule that out.  Then I simply keep an eye out for "the" horse and move on with my guys.  I guess... that works.  Unno, it sounds a bit iffy to me.

I should also note that I want to align with a sport, namely because I have been an "eventer" for so long but even that role was assumed in high school when my endurance career was cut off due to the insane construction and neighborhood growth near where we rode.  I had a fit horse that knew some basic dressage and jumping so hey... trainer suggested eventing and so we did it.  It made sense but I didn't really choose it.  Even at the Schiller clinic I had to pick a discipline and I cringed.  I mean, I ride horses man.  But I guess I like eventing the most?  I could LOVE dressage but I have the ability to be more than ok at something now...

I just don't know but dressage feels good, it feels right.  I... have been taking jumping lessons with Amanda reworking the basics of jumping.  Well, its getting me riding (stupid rain) and in shape AND Katy likes it so whatever.  Its working so I'm not messing with it.  So I'm a dressage person that also does jumping?  I think that's called eventing.  OK, forget this whole thing.

I DO like the idea of a dressage horse that I ride.  I've got that down.  The rest will be what it'll be.

Since Arthur is the odd man out, Shane has decided to work him for three weeks for me to help out and he's being doing well.  Having him and Nigel away from the house lets me think and yes, selling them is the right choice.  That leaves me with Katy, rebred Piper and... Mango.  Not exactly the star crew I'm looking for moving on in the next few years.

OK, let's horse shop again.  This time though, what would I love to have... what is that dream horse?   Something young(ish), something not broken(ish), something with good resale, something I may never want to sell because I enjoy it so much... hmm.  Let's shop some more and get back to this.

I also fail at sorting things out ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment